CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, April 24, 2009

Frugality...










I don't like to buy things I don't need when I can find uses for things we already have,I drive my husband crazy with all the pickle jars I have stashed away.I like using glass,it seals well,you can see what's in it and how much you got and you can use it over and over.I have tried to use plastic butter and yogurt containers,but the lids always seem to crack and split on me after awhile and I don't think they keeps things fresh as long as glass does.I buy rice and pasta in bulk so putting things in jars helps me keep things organised and it keeps the critters out..if there are any lurking about.Plus jars give me a warm and fuzzy feeling for some reason.I think it makes me remember my grandmother with all the jars she used to keep stuff in,like her thread for sewing and jars full of buttons.I used to love to dump out some of the buttons and look through all the old colors and designs.I have a jar of her thread here that I was going to use for some sewing,but I haven't found anything to use it for yet.





Grandmas Thread.



I have found that whiskey bottles make for good storage too.I always buy rice in bulk and I always have bottles around,like I said I can't throw them out.The baby like orzo pasta so the other day I decided to put some of that in a cleaned out bottle.Even though orzo comes in a little box I still want all my pasta and dry goods in one place so I can easily see what I'm running low on,I just peek in the pantry and look.

















I also hate buying paper towels.The cheap ones are horrible and you end up using half a roll just to clean up a little spill.I'm not banishing them from the house or anything I just want to cut down on the amount I use.So I made some rags yesterday out of some old clothes,an old sweatshirt and long sleeve cotton sweater and pair of corduroy pants.I want to see if the pants will make a good dust rag.I don't know what else to use it for and if you know me I didn't want to throw it out.I just love rags you just throw them in the washer and use them again...how great is that!




Maybe I'll use some of grandmas thread to make a nice rag bag to hold my kitchen rags in and make one for the bathroom rags as well.Yes,that sounds like a good idea,finally a use for my thread..joy!!!


Well this is a short post today since today is grocery day.The day where my frugality skills really come in to play.It takes me forever to shop because I'm always on the lookout for better deals and constantly reading and deciding on buy one get one or 2 for $5:00 and seeing if it's actually a deal.Then driving between giant eagle, sam's club and aldis I'm friggin pooped at the end of the day.Thank god all these stores and in a nice little triangle real close together or it wouldn't be worth driving to all three.So I'm off to have a cup of tea on the front porch to sit in my 1950's glider which I adore.I love being frugal,instead of buying a new glider I just asked my mom who got this glider for free if I could have it and thank goodness she gave it to me..I love it! I'm not cheap I just like to find uses for things.She wasn't using it and I knew it was taking up space so why not ask for it,sure beats spending a couple hundred bucks we don't need to be spending anyway.Plus I love old furniture and things so anytime I can get my hands on it and it's on good condition I'll take it.Well have a wonderful weekend and I'll see you next week,take care.


Madison on my glider.

0 comments: